Thursday, January 12, 2012

Utility Cycling

There's something about the term "Utility Cycling" that bothers me. I'm not sure why, but maybe because it sounds boring, or has a connotation of superiority to other types of biking. It's used to distinguish using the bike for serious things like biking to the store, or commuting, from the more fun "recreational" rides. But I don't know, biking to work is fun. Biking to breakfast on the weekend is fun, too. Or down to the hardware store. It's all biking.

John Speare over at Cycling Spokane has some similar thoughts towards the end of his post Cat 6 and other cranky observations on the fun of biking.  Must be something about the time of year.

"Utility Cycling" doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but I still wince a little when I check out The Bike Shop Hub and their UtilityCycling.org section. I'm trying to get over it. There's some good info over there.

No comments:

Post a Comment