Wednesday, October 19, 2011

I'm a dork!

I found the Bicycling section at Auntie's Bookstore at Riverpark Square - it's in the back with the Outdoor books and not in the Sports section near the front where I first looked and wondered "what no bicycle books??".
Anyway, I flipped through the "Big Gigantic Real Big Book of Cycling" by Bicycling Magazine and read this: "Only dorks wear Lycra or khakis on cross town trips. You gotta get some knickers." I hardly ever wear Lycra around town, but I do ride to work in khakis with a rubber band around the right leg cuff (much to my wife's dismay - she calls me Urkel 'cause of the high pants). I like riding to work in my work pants because it saves some time changing at work.
I usually change into baggy bike shorts for the ride home, but with the weather turning cooler I've been riding home in my pants, too. But that has been a mistake this week as we're having some beautiful warm afternoon weather here in Spokaloo and I've been sorry I haven't packed my shorts.
I do have some knickers so I guess I better start wearing them. Maybe I'll look like one of the cool kids for once. At least for the ride home.

2 comments:

  1. I was running on the Centennial Trail during lunch yesterday and a guy wearing a blue jersey just like the one you wore on Sunday's race passed me from behind. He was of similar size and build so I called out, "Is that you, Scott?" He glanced back at me but kept on going without a word. He was also wearing lycra shorts. Must've been a different dork. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, Hank, that was a different dork! See you Sunday -

    ReplyDelete