Sunday, October 9, 2011

Get yourself some cheap plastic fenders...oh yeah!

SKS Beavertail fenders. $16. OK they may not provide complete coverage but I think they'll do. Looks like I'll find out for sure this week, rain in the forecast.



The first pair of fenders I bought, Planet Bike universal fit ones that you sort of zip tie to your fork and frame, didn't fit my Marin 29'er urban/commuter style bike. Or any other of our bikes.

Then I picked up another pair at a certain late night sale at a local bike shop. The bike guy assured me they would fit one of my 'cross bikes that has 32mm wide tires. Well they did, after a fashion, and after some fiddling with them. They turned out to be a little narrow, though, and the bolts holding the stays rubbed against the tires until I got them adjusted out far enough. Only problem was if I turned sharp, my foot would hit the bottom of the front fender. It was probably only a matter of time, but one day I turned too quick and sharp and bent the fender with my foot and had to limp home, not having the right wrench with me to get the bolt out and get the fender completely off.

Maybe I should've learned my lesson by now and invested in some quality fenders. But these Beaver Tails are light and easy to get on and off. I think they'll keep me mostly free of road splatter, if I keep the speed low. And I can always break out the rain gear. 


Scout inspecting the bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment