Monday, June 11, 2012

John Wayne Pioneer Trail

I'm going on a 2-3 day trip this summer on the John Wayne Pioneer Trail thanks to Pat over at 26inch Slicks who has graciously allowed me to tag along part of the way on his cross state tour.

I was planning on taking my mountain bike, until I looked at the frame and fork and said to myself "hey there's no attachment points for racks and panniers"! Duhh! Slight panic ensued. Ok, do I want to haul most everything in a backpack and bungie cord the rest to me and/or bike? Or do I switch the tires on my  Marin Muirwoods? Or take the good cyclocross bike?

No, I want to spend more money on a BoB cargo trailer, which I'd been looking at for awhile for hauling stuff in town.  Long story short:

Yes, no permit to go on the trail (forgot about that little detail), so I park right out in the open. 




























Of course, I bought the less expensive version without the shock absorber in back so more slight panic ensued. How do I explain to my wife I bought a trailer for the trip, but I can't use it on the trail? (Luckily she is on board with using it around town.)
So I made a quick trip to Rosalia on Sunday to try it out. To simulate some bike camping supply weight on it I packed it with this:


I only went a few miles, but it worked out ok, and was fairly easy to pull, if a bit noisy.  I have a liner on order for it and also a kickstand which should make stopping along the trail easier.

More Pics.
This is the old Milwaukee rail bridge at the south (?) end of town:



















The view from the bridge:



















Another pic of the bridge:


















Out on the trail, going around an old trestle:



















I had first stopped at the other end of Rosalia at the first turn from 195 into town, near the Rosalia Cemetery. This part didn't look very promising, but it's passable:






















That's all for now.

4 comments:

  1. You made the right decision by purchasing the trailer. IMHO. More bike gear is always better than less, especially when it is well thought out and justified, no matter how biased the rationalization.

    Awesome that you are joining in. I think it's gonna be a pretty rad adventure.

    "Another pic of the bridge" is a sweet shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "Another pic of the bridge" too!

    Next time take some pictures of you riding your bike! That's gonna be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys. Luckily I didn't slip and break anything climbing up the hill to take that shot.
    Yep the trip should be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scott, I was wondering if I could use one of your trail photos for an interpretive sign in Tekoa; the view from the bridge. Photo credit? Info on where it was taken? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete