Monday, November 16, 2015

the John Wayne Trail - not just for fatbikes

Speaking of the JWPT, I saw on FB that a group was planning to ride fatbikes from Roslyn to Ellensburg for the 11/23 meeting.  Which is great - but it seems lately when biking on the trail is mentioned, it's fatbike-centric.  I can affirm - and maybe everybody knows this already - that you don't need a special bike to ride the trail. A regular old mountain or similar bike will do.

In fact, if I ride the trail next year, I'm planning on taking my Fargo, a drop bar bike with standard mountain bike tires, instead of that Pugs N/R. It's set up tubeless, and I've been wanting to take it on an extended trip.  Sure, when I rode with Pat from Tekoa to Ralston, I was envious at times of the ease with which the 4" tires on his bike rolled over the rocks compared to my MTB.  In some rocky sections, my handlebar was bouncing all over the place, but a lot of that was due to my stubborn refusal to lower the tire pressure much.  I think the tubeless set-up Fargo should work.

I don't think I'll make it to the meeting next Monday, but if I can, I'd like to ride the Fargo in part of the way.  I'm afraid it'll seem as if the people who bike the trail are a small sub-set with special bikes and not representative of all bike users of the trail.

Wait, small subset with special bikes - that pretty much describes Fargo owners. Oh well.


No comments:

Post a Comment