Wednesday, September 18, 2013

When I was a kid...

Growing up in Ephrata way back in the 60's and 70's, we kids rode our bikes everywhere. It's a small town maybe 2 miles long.  There was only one adult that I remember, the father of some kids a few blocks away from our house, who rode his bike to...work.  And most everywhere else in town.  It seemed odd to me.  Nobody else's dad did that.

Now it doesn't seem so different and I'm one of those guys who bikes to work.  It's great to see more grown-ups bike commuters than when I was a kid.

But it still feels a bit different sometimes to bike commute. When I broke a bone in my hand biking to work last year, a couple people actually asked me if now I was going to grow up and stop biking.  They weren't joking. I was taken aback and didn't know what to say. (Thankfully, I don't know too many people like that).  I never thought of biking as something you grow out of.  I more or less grew back into it.

That neighborhood kid's dad was onto something.


No comments:

Post a Comment