Saturday, May 17, 2014

because this bike ain't heavy enough


That is maybe a 4 year old bottle of Slime, and I don't think it gets better with age.  I have heard bad things about Slime, and about putting sealant in tubes generally.  I'm not sure if I want to put more weight in the tires.  But if I do this, will get some fresh Stan's sealant or Orange Seal.  That should lessen the chance of flats out in the boondocks, at least until I convert the Neck Romancer to tubeless, which I can see me doing in a year or two. Or three.

Thinking about the heaviness of my fatbike reminds me when I showed my dad the Pugsley N/R. I was telling him it's a little heavy and how they make lighter aluminum frame and now carbon fatbikes. He's 92 years old and built like me, only less body fat (or I guess I'm built like him, only more fat). Was a mechanic and shop foreman by trade. He lifted the bike up off the ground by the top tube and declared "this bike's not heavy".  I remembered his statement later that day up on Beezley Hill as I lifted it over a 4-5 foot tall gate.

Maybe a few more ounces of sealant in the tires isn't going to make much difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment