Sunday, January 29, 2012

You don't need a weatherman...

I was reminded of the old Dylan song "Subterranean Homesick Blues" last week when the forecast was for a windy day.

Usually, the weather comes on the news and I might start  to pay attention. What's it going to be like tomorrow? But then I zone out...they're going on an on about there's rain coming, it's gonna snow, whoa it's gonna be in the 80's. They gotta hype the weather, it's their job. My wife will ask what the weather is gonna be like, and I'll go hmmm, I forget I wasn't paying attention! That's because I'm going to ride my bike anyway, no matter what Bill Kelly says.

I wasn't always ready to ride in most any weather, though. On my way to an appointment at the Eye Clinic off of Fourth Ave a few summers ago, I got caught in a torrential downpour. It was nice and sunny when I left for work, and there was a hint of rain in the forecast but I didn't pay attention. As I was leaving from work for the appt, someone asked me if I was riding my bike in that. Huh? I looked outside and it was pouring. Holy crap! It was too late to take the STA Medical Shuttle, and I didn't have any rain gear with me. All I had was my light commuter jacket, and by the time I got to Second Ave, I was soaked.

Now I always carry a stowable rain jacket and some rain pants tightly rolled up in the bottom of my bag.  I think I rode with them in my bag all last summer even, when it rained maybe once. Someday that big rainstorm is going to come out of nowhere, and I'll be ready for it this time.

1 comment:

  1. OK confession time...I know I said I was ready for most any weather. But then Sunday afternoon it started raining. And kept on raining. It was raining when I turned in for the night and when I woke up. I wasn't looking forward to riding in it. I was turning into a "if it rains take the bus" guy. So I was relieved when it stopped by the time I left for work.

    ReplyDelete